Your Choice for Calgary Teck Neck Care!
Are You Suffering a Sore Neck from Sitting at The Computer? You May Have Tech Neck!
Technology continues to play a role in our lives increasing the chances of getting Tech Neck. Think about how much time we spend on Laptops, Desktops, tablets, iPads, and Phones.
It is no secret we are seeing a rise in strain injuries and poor posture due to the increasing use of digital devices. Strains and injuries that come from postures while texting and using handheld devices have been dubbed “Tech Neck.” A safe bet is that technology is here to stay, so here are some tips and tricks you can do to prevent getting hurt.
Why does Tech Neck Matter?
Whether they are craning their necks poring over a textbook or scrolling through instagram on their phone, children and adolescents are at increased risk for injuring themselves.
Do this Test on Your Kids:
A quick measure is to see how far out in front of their shoulders, their ear is. It’s estimated that for every inch forward you crane your neck (ear out in front of your shoulder), an additional 10 pounds of pressure is being applied to your neck. That adds up fast and can harm your spine in a number of ways, including neck pain, hunched shoulders, and headaches.
Symptoms caused by Tech Neck:
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- Shoulder pain
- Hunched posture
- Arm, wrist and hand pain
- Hand and finger numbness or tingling
A Clinic You Can Trust
It is the practice of a strong work ethic, continuous education, and prioritizing patient outcomes that makes the difference. Together with our knowledge, programs and expertise, our mission is to help you live a perpetual life of wellness. We are National Spine & Wellness, and we invite you to experience proven results through expert care.
Book a 15 Min Complimentary Phone Consultation
What can you do about Tech Neck!
- Limit screen time: Limit your screen time to 1-2 hours. If you need to be on for longer, take a 15-minute break every hour to give your neck a rest
- Correct posture: Instead of holding the phone down and bending your head down to see it, hold it up at eye level and sit up straight with your chest out and shoulders back. If you need to bend your head down, tuck your chin into your chest rather than hanging your head forward. You need to be especially mindful of this if you wear progressive lens eyewear. The reading part of the lens is in the bottom part of the glass so you will naturally adjust your head and neck posture to focus. This will increase the strain on your neck.
- Balance screen time with activity: No way around it – screen time creates a strain on your back and neck. If we need to spend time on screens, then a great way to neutralize the strain from that is through exercise. Taking a break every hour is important, but you can also get a free stretching program to help by visiting com.
- Invest in furniture that will help encourage good posture: There are many options you can try to improve the ergonomics of your workstation.
If you’re looking for a physiotherapist/miracle worker, Lindsay Fraser is the woman for you. I’ve been seeing Lindsay for a few months now.. prior to meeting her I had slipped... read more
Amazing staff, and clinic! I have seen both Dr. Batinic and Dr. Edgecombe, both are incredibly helpful, knowledgeable and professional!! I used the MCU, neck adjustments and needling,... read more
Josip has made a huge difference in my life and my wife’s. I had a disc issue with SI involvement and he pinpointed the SI involvement right away, and adjusted... read more
National Spine & Wellness’ 3 Step Treatment Plan
Our care involves the diagnosis and treatment of mechanical disorders
of the muscles, bones, and joints, especially the spine. Your first visit to National
Spine & Wellness is dedicated to learning about the history of your pain and how
it impacts your daily life.
The information we gather during your initial assessment is used to create a 3-
step treatment plan.
Step One: Pain Relief
Did you know that manual therapy is one of only very few treatments science has proven to be the most effective for relieving your back and neck pain? Our team are experts at this treatment but also understand that this isn’t all you may need to get better.
They also work collaboratively with your health care team to get you out of pain and get you moving in a safe, controlled fashion.
Step Two: Rebuild Strength & Agility
Ask yourself, if you were 100% what would you be doing?
That is the question we put to you first and foremost so we can customize your treatment plan.
Once your pain begins to go away we empower you to gain the knowledge, understanding, and tools to build your resiliency to get back to the activities you love.
Step Three: Maintain & Improve
By using a wellness model customized to your specific needs, we can give you the knowledge and tools to maintain and improve your health in a wellness model. Once the problem that was causing your symptoms is corrected, we will also work with you to learn ways to prevent the pain from returning.
The goal of our care is to offer preventative maintenance for pain-free living.